View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2019-01-06, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
2019 is going to be a crazy mess in the USA.
Throughout the last two years, I have repeatedly come to the conclusion that the democracy built on our Constitution was just not working. Each time there was a ray of hope, DT did something to counteract it, and plunged the nation back into hopelessness. I couldn't help envying autocratic countries whose leaders constructed 5, 10, and 20-year infrastructure plans and regularly achieved goals in those plans without a congressional gridlock. One problem with our democracy is that we have at least 35% of the voters who are not well-educated and who don't seek to be -- much like the president they support.

Having said all that, I can hardly wait to see what the House Democrats, Mueller's investigators and the prosecutors of the Southern District of NY will do. At least 17 different investigations, apparently. We will all be living through and witnessing the making of history. Perhaps the most effective prosecutions will be those in the Southern District of NY, because DT can't grant pardons to people convicted of *state* crimes, afaik. The various DT organizations for fraud, tax evasion and possibly money-laundering for fat cats from Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Ukraine. Mitt Romney will be free to speak up against DT in a way that other Republican Senators have been too spineless to do, since Romney has the complete backing of Utah, and nothing DT could say would ever change that.

I have been shying away from the stock market because of the recent and upcoming chaos, but I may put in a *buy* order for a few thousand dollars worth of company X effective tomorrow morning. Even though the market has been down and erratic, I pretty much never sell, because everything I hold was bought at much lower prices than they have fallen to, and they will all go back up eventually, I believe, because all my companies are quality companies. Still, I am being very cautious, and have kept a decent amount in cash. The market keeps crashing because so many brokers have their clients' accounts on automatic *sell* if the least little thing happens. Presents great buying opportunities for careful investors... like me.