View Single Post
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2006-03-15, 03:05

I don't understand why everyone hates Digital Rights Management (DRM). What do people expect? Apple to sell songs on iTunes that have zero restrictions, can be played on anyones computer, and can be downloaded by anyone? Of all things, Apple has DRM done right. You can play songs on up to 5 computers, unlimited iPods, and burning is restricted to playlists based on repetition (basically unlimited burning). I have two computers (my iMac G5 and 12" PowerBook G4). I play music on those and also give tons of music to my girlfriend. That's three computers. If I had my own family with the average 2.5 children, the 5-computer limit almost covers all of them. Plus, what's the likelihood of my children liking the music I have anyway?

Yes, DRM can suck, a lot at times. Thank's to Sony, DRM can be the cause of a lot of frustration and agony. I just don't understand what people expect from a company selling you music. Do they want Apple to sell them unrestricted songs? I don't get it at all. It seems like the only reason people don't like DRM is because it's popular to dislike DRM. Or they want to burn their friends 700+ songs on a CD without having to authorize their machines.

I'm tired of all the winy complaints of "DRM sucks to the max" and "I would never buy of the iTMS, unless they got rid of the DRM." Are you kidding me? Expecting legal downloads to have no restrictions is just ridiculous. What's the big deal? How has DRM effected or impaired the way you listen to music? The only times I'm frustrated is when I'd like to put a song in my podcast or FCP where it shouldn't be in the first place anyway because it's copyrighted material!!!