View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-15, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato64
I guess I was talking more about Apple's DRM. The songs are ours and they won't go away, there is no subscription service.
See point 4. I can not emphasize this enough. We're taking the first steps down a very ugly road, setting a foundation that will be difficult to overturn.

Also, note that Apple has changed and reserves the right to change at any time the "rights" we have on our purchased content.

Think hard about that for a minute.

Oh, and what if you happen to lose your internet connection and need to authenticate? Or Apple's servers go belly-up? In any of a hundred other doomsday scenarios, those files that are yours that "won't go away" will be worthless because you cannot play them.

Quote:
I never thought about the competition thing. I guess that's because, right now, the iPod (in my opinion) is the best music player out there. If I liked other players more and wanted to use them, I might have a different opinion on this stuff.
It kills competition and frustrates the consumer market. How many times have you seen people bitch and moan about wanting to buy an iPod but couldn't because they have WM DRMed files? Or of people who want to use some other player but can't because they have iTunes DRMed files? Or of Linux users who can't access any DRMed content at all?

DRM aims to kill Linux? You betcha. DRM (and any encryption algorithm with which you have all the keys) by its very nature can not be open source; thus, it is fundamentally incompatible with the free software movement.

Quote:
I guess my MAIN point is this: could you think of a better solution? If you could, I guarantee my thoughts on DRM would change.
Absolutely. Don't use DRM.

The real problem here is that the big media companies are holding onto a dated and dying business model. They need to adapt and stop treating their own damn customers like criminals. Move to a pricing structure where the consumer would prefer to buy the content than to pirate it and risk prosecution.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.