View Single Post
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2007-07-18, 20:27

I bought myself a cheap old server off of craigs list the other day, and installed a trial version of windows 2003 server to do some learning and experimenting with. The machine itself runs great, but the 19" monitor i picked up at microcenter today to use with it is pissing me off.

The display has a native resolution of 1440x900. The video card in the machine is an ATI rage 128 GL with 16mb of memory. Everythign ive read says that this card should be able to display up to 1920x1200, however, the highest resolution i can seem to get out of it is 1280x1024, resulting in a very annoying stretched image that hurts to look at for a while.

Ive hunted down Win 2003 server compatible drivers for the card and installed them, but had no luck. Installing the drivers for the monitor resulted in a max res of 1152x870, which is closer to the aspect ratio, but still distorted.

I know this isnt really the hangout for most PC geeks, but I have really got no where else to turn.

edit: btw, i tried the monitor on my powerbook, and it was able to display full resolution just fine.