View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-14, 16:10

A rough idea/sketch of the things I was talking about in a post above, about how the scroll wheel might be okay (as opposed to the traditional numeric keypad).

In message mode (text or even e-mail?), a mini keyboard layout appears. Figuring anyone doing heavy messaging or e-mail HAS to be familiar with a keyboard layout (perhaps there could be a preference that allowed the letters to be displayed alphabetically, for those who chose to). Anyway, while in this mode you scroll around with the wheel (as you going through photos on iPods or in the new iPod scroll search) until you land on the letter you want. To enter this in, you click the center button, as you always do on an iPod to confirm/initiate a command or action.

This same method would be used to enter names/numbers for your address book.

Also (I love this part ), while in this mode, the compass points of the scroll wheel trigger familiar keyboard commands most used (and somewhat in relation to where they are on a real keyboard: shift/caps lock to left, space bar on bottom, return on right, and backspace/delete at the top. The red letters there are just for illustration purposes. The user would quickly learn this...

In dialing mode (assuming it's one of the few numbers you DON'T already have programmed in), the old rotary phone dial metaphor is used (which ties in wonderfully with the scroll wheel). A "dial" pops up, you thumb around your scroll wheel to choose your number and hit the center button (also, maybe a message comes up after your call, asking if you'd like to add that number to your Address Book?).

Thoughts?

It's rough and barebones, but just the general idea? Does it work? Is it feasible?

I can easily imagine doing this, and working this way. I honestly don't think I'd miss a traditional numeric phone keypad. I could type a message or e-mail quicker THIS way than the current phone key set-up, that's for sure. Make it familiar to a keyboard, something people using this feature are all too familiar with these days...

I'm not sure how the touchtone "press 1 for Jim, press 2 for accounting..." thing might work...hmmm.