View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-14, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by einlanzer237 View Post
This sounds like a good idea, but maybe you could switch the caps and backspace directions? My first impression would be to push the left button to erase a letter. Otherwise though, great ideas!
I suppose so, sure. I was just trying to keep it anchored to the familiar keyboard layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einlanzer237 View Post
Also, why couldn't you just dial the numbers for options the same way you dial numbers to call someone? Rotate to select, then press the center button to dial it.
You could. I wasn't sure if that was a hardware or software-centric function, but I guess it doesn't matter? I don't really know. But yes, if that method would "take", then of course. You'd have the rotary graphic there on the screen and you could simply spin it around to follow a business' directory system, or enter an extension number or go through the customer service "press 2 to bitch, press 3 to make threats" tap dance.

I kinda had to bash the above drawing out quick and dirty (and on the down low)...but I've got about 3-5 more ideas along those same lines, using the simple scroll wheel (and tied to onscreen graphics, prompts, etc.) to do most of the things people would do on a cell phone: navigate (the iPod has proven that wonderfully...no brainer there), enter numbers, type short e-mails and text messages (no one is going to use this to compose a term paper, so there doesn't need to be every high-end composition feature known to man present ), enter names/contact info, taking photos (surely any Apple-created cell phone is going to have at least a little 1.3megapixel camera built-in, right?). The aspect of dealing with music and photos (navigating, viewing, listening) has already been worked out just fine (the standard iPod method). So it's really only text/numeral entry, making calls, creating short sentences, snapping a pic, etc. that have to addressed.

I think the scroll wheel is more than up to the task.

While in different modes, the scroll wheel simply behaves in different, specific ways: drives a virtual keyboard, "dials" a phone, snaps a photo (and "zooms" using the wheel), etc.

And since it's all software-based, tailoring it for personal preferences and usage patterns (or other languages?) couldn't be a huge ordeal (some people might like a straight A-Z alphabetical entry listing instead of a keyboard layout. That could be a preference toggled on and off at will?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-09-14 at 17:07.