View Single Post
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-09-14, 17:54

Guys. Adding a numeric keypad has no disadvantages and numerous advantages.

So you never use it? Big deal. It stays hidden behind the slider.

But, if you need it and it ISN'T there, you're fucked.

Forcing people do things their used to the "new, better, and Apple" way has caused some serious flops for Apple in the past, and at the very least, stalemates. Granted, sometimes it works wonderfully (Apple definitly sped up the abandonment of Floppys and the use of USB with the iMac) but I don't think abandonment of the numeric keypad is a good idea because its not like its a flawed method to begin with.

I text FAST with a numeric. Almost as fast as I type. I know others who text FASTER than they type. Its a combination of not having to move ones thumb too much and predictive input (e.g. T9). I don't see the iPod search method being faster than a 9 button numeric with predictive. Ever.

Plus, there is no reason you couldn't have BOTH. Enter typing mode with the slider shut, it uses the iPod search method. Slider open, use the numeric. The scroll wheel method is probably easier for someone who isn't used to a numeric w/ predictive. You should see some of the texts my Dad sends me...

Yes. For a lot of people, a scroll wheel is the most efficient and intiutive way to perform 90% of phone tasks. But you need a numeric for the other 10% and if your a chronic texter, you need it even more.

So, the solution is simple. Hide the keypad under a slider. There should be no problem keeping even a slider under .5 in (13.7 mm) which is definitly thin enough. Think mini sized. The mini is definitly small enough for a cell phone, especially if it replaces your iPod nano in the process.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.