View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-01-25, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Try some variations. Grill it with a few thin slices of hot green pepper inside (medium hot; fresh, not pickled). Or try it with a few slices of tomato. For the tomato, to avoid overdoing it, you lift up a slice and add it only for the last minute of grilling. For the pepper, you add it right from the start of grilling.

One of my own absolute lifelong addictions is good bread, especially sourdough bread. Some good local ones are available around here, but I also have my own sourdough starter to make it myself.
Thank you for the suggestions about perking up the sandwiches, Chinney. I'd have to go mild on the green pepper though, because my mouth is very tender and hot stuff tends to cauterize the whole interior of my mouth and sears my taste buds into a state of oblivion.

Wrt bread though, yum. Fresh, homemade is so wonderful. I used to bake fresh bread (cracked wheat) every day; but I cheated, because I used a bread machine. I did buy some baking stones, which are supposed to give the bread an extra crunchy texture for the crust. So far, I've only used the stones for pizza and not for bread, but I'll get around to bread eventually. Makes my mouth water just thinking about crusty French bread. Mmmm....

I used to use the machine to make dough for absolutely divine hot cinnamon rolls. Intensely scrumptious.

Wrt other addictions I'd forgotten to mention, I've been buying green tea in vast quantities and drink hot green tea with half and half at least three times a day.

For awhile there, I was cultivating an addiction to shrimp at a quaint old restaurant in a nearby town. The shrimp is wonderful, but the cocktail sauce is heavenly - homemade, and with an exquisite, sinus-clearing tang of horseradish.