View Single Post
stonyc

Send a message via AIM to stonyc  
2005-02-02, 15:40

First post AND making the switch... phew.

Trying to decide between the 12" and the 15" is like trying to decide between a Porsche or a Ferrari. The agony... (as a friend told me today: "Whichever one you choose, I'm gonna be jealous..")

Anyways, I have a desktop PC at home which I'll be keeping for a couple more years but I really want something that I can take to/from work and while traveling...

I would do alot of image manipulation (photoshop/gimp), presentations (powerpoint), and research... as well as a little DJing on the side. I already have the software in mind (megaseg)... but was wondering what peoples' opinions were regarding what I need my PB to do, and which of the two (12" or 15") would be a better fit.

Here's my thoughts... throwing out price as a consideration for now, because a) I have the money to spend on either, and b) I feel both are priced well for what they offer.

What I like/dis-like about the 12":
+ size and weight, small footprint
+ battery life
- screen size (this is really my only concern, especially with respect to image editing)
- the soldered 256mb RAM chip, lower memory ceiling than the 15"
- no backlit keyboard (not a biggie, but still)

What I like/dis-like about the 15":
+ screen size
+ vram upgradeable to 128mb
- size (do people having experience with both the 12" and 15" find a big difference in their respective "portabilities"?)

Not really considering the 17" because portability is one of the main factors. Thanks in advance, I'll look forward to seeing what people think..