View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2016-11-23, 04:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
What the hell have they been doing all this time? It better not be just a touch screen keyboard and figuring out to do display an iPhone interface on a smaller screen.

That's all I feel there is to show for the last 5+ years of Apple innovation.
Not counting the Touch Bar or the Apple Watch, in the last five years Apple has introduced Siri, Touch ID, Apple Pay, the world's first 64-bit mobile chip, retina laptops, retina desktops, retina tablets, EarPods, the Apple Pencil, 3D Touch, Lightning, and iCloud.* They've redesigned the MacBook Pro twice, ditched skeuomorphism, and made the fastest processors in the most competitive segment year after year after year. And they've made tons of "incremental" but huge improvements to their cameras, their flash storage, their radios, their durability…

Just five years ago the state-of-the-art Apple product had a 3.5" screen, a 32-bit processor, and a 30-pin dock connector. It ran bubbly iOS 5 and Siri was just entering beta. It looks ancient today. (Have you looked at Forstall-era iOS lately? It's gross.) We've come a looooong way in just five years. That's Apple innovation. It might not be everything you want, it might be more mobile-y and less Mac-y than you like, but I'd argue the Mac is a much more mature product. And even then, compare today's MacBook Pro with a 2011 model. That glorious 1280x800 screen!

*) Alright, technically iCloud was October 2011.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong