View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-15, 04:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato64
why would i buy something off iTunes if my friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend already did?
Quote:
but come on, you must have a hard time believing that if iTunes offered DRM-free content that there would be no more people stealing music than there already is. then again, that might outweigh the business that they'd receive from people that use other players, but i highly doubt it.
Look at the Russian websites that sell music dirt cheap. Some people (and I know several here at AN) have given up entirely on pirating music and decided to buy the music from these websites. Why change?

1. The customer is guaranteed a reliable catalog and download service.
2. The products are consistent in quality.
3. The products are available in a variety of formats.
4. The customer is not breaking the law.
5. The prices are reasonable.

If the whole industry moved to match those Russian websites' business structure, the incentive to pirate the product rather than buy it would be dramatically diminished.

Quote:
but for a fact there would be 5x the amount of illegal downloaders.
You cannot state that as a fact. You just implied that no one could know.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.