View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-05, 10:08

Interesting story out on the AS front.

The future sounds bright.

Quote:
Apple is planning a "much bigger leap" with its third-generation chips, some of which will be manufactured with TSMC's 3nm process and have up to four dies, which the report says could translate into the chips having up to 40 compute cores. For comparison, the M1 chip has an 8-core CPU and the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips have 10-core CPUs, while Apple's high-end Mac Pro tower can be configured with up to a 28-core Intel Xeon W processor.
I suppose "third generation" is M3? Or is the new M1 Pro/Max considered the second generation and what's coming next (M2 in 2022?) considered third-generation? I assumed the "generation" count would be designated by the M1, M2, M3, etc. labeling, but I'm the first to admit that I don't understand anything about this stuff beyond the lightest surface.

I did find this interesting, though:

Quote:
Meanwhile, the report says the next Mac Pro will use a variant of the M1 Max chip with at least two dies, as part of the first generation of Apple silicon chips.
Assuming a new, redesigned Mac Pro is coming by summer (to meet that two-year transition goal), it'll be using an M1 Max of some sort (with More Everything™), vs. any sort of M2. So the M1, the basic "bed", is less about being an initial "less than" chip and can be built on and expanded to where, in its most powerful form, is "better" than an M2 and maybe even some of its beefier variants?

I just assumed any new Mac Pro coming in 2022 would be on an M2 Pro/Max, but maybe that's not how it works? The M1, and all its variations, could be in the picture for some time and it won't be a yearly M1, M2, M3 type of thing at all.

I sure will be happy in another year or so, once it's a little more obvious how all this stuff shakes out and what the names mean, and how things are stacked, etc.

PS - Every post I make in this thread will be 3-6x as ignorant/clueless as the ones I make elsewhere. Heads up! If AN has an "ignore user by thread" feature, now would be the time.