View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-12, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
1. Google is my home page. This is the same for almost everyone I know.
This is another thing I never quite understood, partly because of it being redundant with the built-in search field and partly because Google usually isn't my destination and it ends up needlessly taking another second of my time. I have new windows and tabs open to a *blank* page so no time is wasted loading some site I don't want to see and so the URL field has focus and I can start typing immediately (or choose the appropriate bookmark).

But of course I'll admit to being a performance whore in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
2. The Safari search field is un-customisable and worse, doesn't localise to your local version of Google, so we're all stuck with the US site
True, it's not customizable, but what do you mean about not localizing? Unless you have a cookie set to override it, Google should choose its language based on your browser's user agent string. Some very quick tests confirm this. I set my system's language preference to "EspaƱol" first, restart Safari, and Google searches from Safari show up with Spanish text. I change to "British English", restart Safari, and Google uses what I can only assume is the British flavour of English.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.