View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-02-28, 13:41

ABOUT TIME.

More details, skipping the history and gushing and just getting to the meat of it:

http://www.mojang.com/
Quote:
The plan is to build a fresh server API, and then extend it to support client-side modding (in one way or another). We will try to make it easy for bukkit users to convert if they wish to do so, but backwards compatibility is not guaranteed. We will, however, help bukkit to be compatible with 1.2, to avoid having a long gap while you wait for the official Minecraft server to catch up.
http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/buk...chapter.62489/
Quote:
When discussing the possibility of a modding API publicly, Mojang was concerned that they would be unable to provide the community with a suitable and powerful enough solution and we honestly feel that our experience building Bukkit will help them do so. Thanks to our work with Bukkit, we have a years worth of experience, failures and lessons to help us develop a proper modding API and intend to do whatever it takes to produce one that satisfies the needs of the community. Now that we have an opportunity to design the official Minecraft API, we intend to make it a suitable replacement for Bukkit, if not a significantly better one, while bukkit.org will remain a community for modders for the foreseeable future.
I've thought for a while that the solution should be to simply replace/merge MC server proper with Bukkit server, and then have a single server code base going forward. It's immediately apparent to anyone who looks at the code that it would take ages for Mojang to catch up and add all the hooks that Bukkit currently supports.

I wonder how much of the new API will actually be cherry-picking bits from Bukkit versus creating whole new APIs. At the very least, writing new APIs should be SIGNIFICANTLY easier without dealing with the obfuscated code. Though, I wonder if this means the server will be going closed-source and reobfuscated…

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.