View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-29, 09:30

Night driving on the interstates is nice, period (and even more so with the top down, I'd imagine). I prefer it because it's way less crowded and you don't have to get nearly as wound-up and angry as you do during the daytime.

My ex and I took off to the Florida gulf coast in 1992(?) this way. I actually had a gig downtown that evening, but we packed our stuff beforehand and put it in the car, ready to go. We played our set around 10:00pm (opened for a larger act at some club/bar) and the bassist took my guitar and amp home with him, and so I was able to go straight from the stage to the car to the interstate (quite a "rock star" type moment for me, in that, for once, I didn't have to fool with breaking down and loading out...I just got to play and split, like Eric Clapton or Slash, and someone else got to take care of my gear).

Cruising down through Alabama at 2:00am, nobody on the roads, etc. It was awesome! This might've been pre-"My Cousin Vinny", so we had no weird thoughts running through our heads. She took a picture of me on the side of the road dancing/posing around the Florida state line sign like a complete dork...

"We made it!"

We did most of the trip with the windows down or cracked, I recall. It was just an awesome night, weatherwise. And I'm all amped-up from playing, so I wasn't tired at all.