View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-02-27, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
I have 14.5GB for free and could get more, too.

Dropbox just works. It is great for sharing files, synching files, etc. iCloud does not have anything even a little bit like this. iCloud doesn't work the way I work. Dropbox does. This is an extremely common complaint.
How the hell did you get that much free space?? O.o

You're right that iCloud doesn't have anything like that, which is a shame, but what iCloud does, Dropbox doesn't. They're orthogonal solutions.

I use Dropbox literally every day to sync files between a couple of work machines, but I cannot *imagine* trying to do so manually with my Contacts, for instance. Share the address book file? Sure, no problem. And then when Apple changes the file layout? What about caching? etc etc etc It's a fragile solution when used that way, syncing up documents that you don't have control over in a fundamental way. Apps like 1Password use Dropbox to sync, but they do so through the app itself - you don't need to do anything special.

For what iCloud does, it's very good. Finally. (From the user's perspective - it's still an annoyance to the devs, and they need to clean that up quickly.)

Dropbox does something very different, and it's against the grain of where Apple is aiming with documents being managed by their creator applications. I'm not thrilled with it myself, but for many folks I know it works a lot better than dealing with the Finder. It wouldn't make much sense for Apple to offer a solution that is in opposition to their obvious direction.

If the Finder is going to be for 'power users' (gak), then we can find our way to Dropbox, I guess is their thinking.

And, what zippy said. The cross-platform capability is wonderful.