View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-02-28, 12:41

Quote:
That's not what I said though is it?

To be honest, I don't know many people who still have iPhones or iPads. In my family everyone uses the free iCloud accounts, and I've not heard a complaint about space. Almost everyone else I know has moved to Android devices.
Well... I'm not trying to be combative for the sake of being combative (believe it or not).

Quote:
This thread is the first place I've ever seen, or heard, anyone complain about the limitation of iCloud's free space. I guess that reputation is somewhat limited in scope.
You dismiss my complaints as not common yet your sample size appears (to me) to be this forum and your family and friends.... all of which have switched to Android according to you.

So how are you even qualified to say that? Again, not trying to be combative, but I don't understand why you are so quick to dismiss my complaints based on your own anecdotal evidence, when your anecdotal evidence apparently does not include many, if any, iOS users?

For what its worth, I work in an all Mac, all iOS office. My family is entirely Mac and iOS based. And I'd honestly say the overwhelming majority of my friends are iPhone owners. As for friends with tablets everyone but a couple have an iPad, and those couple have a Kindle Fire. I'm not saying it's the norm, but I think between my personal experience and my unfortunate frequency of mac forums and news sites, I've got a good grasp of common complaints and frustrations. Plus, there are approximately 600 million iOS devices out there, no your experience is certainly even further from the norm.

Quote:
Obviously, that was your #1 issue, both by placement, 'most annoying' status, and words spent on it. You can see why the rest of us thought it was your biggest beef.
It is indeed the biggest beef. But not the only beef as you suggested. Not a big deal. But not what I said and the capacity was not intended to be the sole focus of discussion although I do believe it should be the primary one.

Quote:
PhotoStream is confusing. Got it. 'Solid website interface for others' Sorry, not clear what you mean here. Do you mean for other people to view your PhotoStream photos online?
Yes, both Aperture and iPhoto support multiple libraries now. If you use multiple libraries, Photostream gets pretty wacky at times. Photostream sync photos to multiple places, but users don't really have a record of where, and I have yet to find a single non-techy iPhone owner who remotely understands syncing and deleting photos on their phones. I have lost count of how many times I have had to help people clear photos off their phones in order for them to be able to install an update. They just don't get it, and Apple makes it pretty damn hard to understand and do easily. It's very much unApple. It doesn't "just work". Apple also has a weird avoidance of displaying usage, file size, and capacity in any way in any iOS app, except buried within the settings control panel.

There is no personal user website where people can go and view your shared photos. They must be invited and provided with a link. It's surprisingly unclear to many how to add and remove people and it's a misstep not to have a public option or to have integration with Facebook galleries and/or other photo services. Instead, a user must manage and upload to multiple services to reach their intended audience.

Quote:
Yeah, this is odd. I can see the thinking behind it though, to prevent confusion for users on their same device.

Aaaaaand I just re-read it. You can now apparently use Find My iPhone on another person's iPhone, if you're using Find iPhone 3.0. When it launches, it asks for your AppleID and password. Enter yours.

So, space, PhotoStream, iCloud.com on iOS. Three things. Got it.
You can use the app on another phone but not Find My iPhone on www.icloud.com.

I have no issue with the default www.icloud.com page as it appears on iOS. But below the warning should be a link to bypass as a guest and login to access your iCloud services temporarily from someone else's device. iOS devices are becoming even more popular as common terminals at libraries, cafes, etc..... you can't check iCloud email on those devices. iPads are often shared amongst many users.... they have no multiple user support to begin with, but then you also can't change your individual iCloud email on it either.

Quote:
No argument here in principle, but I can see some subtle gotchas in the implementation. The reason it's tied to the account is because that's the user's single interface to the data store. Now, it'd be nice is an iOS device could, through being logged in via iCloud, be 'registered' as a new device needing backup, and add to the pool. De-registration (due to theft, for instance) would be an issue however. Not unsolvable, but every approach I can think of has some downsides.
Those issues are no different than the existing iTunes authorization Apple does for individual devices.

Quote:
This has jack-all to do with iCloud, it's an AppleID issue - but yeah, it's stupid.

Let's be sure that we're clear on where the problem lies though, it's the same with Apple IDs used for the iTunes Store.

Actually, now that I re-read this, you can change the Apple ID main email address associated with the iCloud account and alter a lot of what you stated above that way. You still can't merge or split Apple IDs, which is annoying however.
Merging and splitting is a major problem. But the biggest problem is ease of use, simplicity, and clarity. There is no user friendly go to spot for account management. It's been way too long like this and it is incredibly confusing. You have to keep in mind that you and I and others here have a good understanding of these things and understand workarounds and why there are restrictions. Others simply don't get it. Again, I have people ask me for help with Apple IDs, iTune accounts, iCloud accounts, iMessage email addresses, and how they all operate together all the time. It's not the way that it should be.

Quote:
Because iOS uses an app-centric user model, not a document-centric one. Love it or hate it, that's the OS model.
Yet, it doesn't make sense in every situation. And creates difficulty for a user when they open Mail and expect to be able to select their recently saved document or PDF and send it to someone. People don't think and work in an app-centric user model at all times and Apple can't force that upon them.

Quote:
App-centric user model means that the apps control the data, and the only apps that we're talking about here are iOS apps, so... not non-iOS support needed.

Not saying it's *right*, saying it's a result of the app-centric user model.

The 'proper' way to share a document is to use the Share feature. That might change, it'd be nice.
Mac Apps as well that support Document Sharing.

And who knows, maybe that is the way the Mac moves as well. Hard to tell but I could see it happening.

Quote:
Look for the little cloud icon. Cloud icon == on iCloud. No cloud icon == you have a local copy.
Not true. A large portion of your music gets cached and the Cloud icon does not appear. It will be on your phone.

It is ridiculous that every time you want to use or only show locally stored music you have to leave the music app and go levels deep in settings and turn it off.

Also, again, there is inadequate information provided to the user about how many songs at a given time are local, no easy to understand grouping of them, no display of space used, or feedback on how much data you have used streaming. (you can go into settings again, multiple levels deep, and take a broad look).