View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-03-03, 03:53

iCloud needs a lot of work on many fronts.

Space. Got a $799-$929 iPad with 128 Gigs of storage? Well, you still get a whopping 5 Gigs of free iCloud space. The ATP guys brought this up particularly with photos a while ago. Apple keeps touting the iPhone as a great camera, and I think it is, but Apple hasn't offered a solid solution for how to archive your photos. You can't even use a Time Capsule as a local backup, nor can you use Photostream in a way anyone can comprehend (you think this is confusing for us? Try being an average user), and even if you could, there'd be no "okay, I'd like to browse the photos that aren't currently on this device" interface whatsoever.

Metaphors. The your app is your documents' silo concept works surprisingly well for simple cases, but fails completely for even somewhat complex ones. Lord help you if you want to use a non-default mail client or browser, or, gasp, switch to a competing app later on and carry your data with you.

Tech. I haven't gotten clear feedback whether last summer's storage improvements (particularly with Core Data) have fulfilled their promise. It seems like most developers have already given up trying to use iCloud for non-trivial data storage. Not a good sign.