View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-06, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Aside from a few complaints I have about the 'hand holding' present in the game
This is among my biggest complaints, and I have several. Fi is just a slightly less annoying Navi — slightly. Her annoying pseudo statistical advice is further compounded by the dog-slow text scroll. Holding the A button just barely speeds it up. Why is it that Nintendo refuses to let people jump through dialog more quickly in recent years? It wasn't always like this. It wan't long ago that pressing A skipped to the end of the text. I'm a fast reader and I almost never need to see a 5-page intro to some activity more than once. SHUT UP PUMM LET ME SERENADE YOUR GIRL FOR CASH ALREADY! Spoiler alert.

Flying around on the loftwing is neat for the first few island hops, but I found it has grown a bit tiring. The mechanics of flying are perfectly fine, but it's the sheer emptiness that gets to me. It's not a massive lot of empty on the scale of Wind Waker (at least Wind Waker had periodic guard towers and subs to keep things interesting), but it's still quite disappointing that you're basically navigating a big empty void instead of what could be a richly detailed and artistic landscape pitted with coves and secrets. It's as though Nintendo thinks that if there's no functional need for an interesting environment it's okay to just completely omit any environment at all.

After some 50-odd hours of play (can't remember what I'm at now), the controls still feel off a fair bit in some regards. Anything that requires aiming sucks terribly because the controls rely solely on the gyroscope and none on the IR bar. Again, Nintendo, why?? Yes, I get that you can rely on the fancy new tech and give up on old tech like the IR bar, but giving up a long known working solution in favor of one that forces players to recalibrate the gyroscope (in the middle of a fight, to less) is just plain stupid.

That having been said…

Yes, the story, the characters, the baddies, the level design, the various nods to previous Zelda games, and the overall visual style are all quite good.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.