View Single Post
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-10-05, 21:00

Let me preface this: I am not an artist. I can't draw humans that look like humans, or animals that look like animals. I probably couldn't even draw a decent inanimate object like a fruit if I tried.

However, I really love dinosaurs. And one of the best paleoartists in the world, Gregory S. Paul, just released a new book that has tons of excellent illustrations and information. I've been a huge dino nerd since I picked up his Predatory Dinosaurs of the World, an at-the-time unparalleled compilation of pointy-teethed dinosaurian awesome. This new book is just as great as I've hoped for for over a decade now. Especially the artwork.

Inspired, I decided to try my own hand at dinosaur art. Whether it's because I love the subject material, or because I was staring at a magnified version of one single image for probably way too long, or because I had an osteology class once and thus have a pretty sound grasp of anatomy that told me whenever I was starting to look really funny, I actually got a passable dinosaur out of the attempt.

Presenting: Gallimimus!

One quibble with my own work: the tail is proportionally too short, which I noticed after I inked him. I'm going with a Tyrannosaurus totally ate his tail-tip off.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder