View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-17, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
This might be one of the reasons why it's being proposed. I know the IOC wanted to see the transportation into, out, and in Chicago improved. Plus, if Chicago gets the Olympics some of the cycling courses would be held outside of Madison, WI from what I understand.
Off-topic (click to toggle):
While the score of Chicago's technical bid was behind Tokyo's and Madrid's, USOC head Peter Ueberroth seems to think that Chicago needs to focus more on international relations, rather than just a technically strong bid. It seems the last eight years have sort of damaged our international image (who'da thunk?). But from what I understand, the Games are still considered by some to be "Chicago's to lose," with Chicago being a favorite, and Rio de Janeiro being the "dark horse" candidate.

If Obama is reelected, that means any 2016 Olympics would take place during the last year of his presidency. Bringing the games to your old hometown - that would be a nice way to finish off your Presidency, don'cha think? Public support is still high, and let's not forget the Oprah factor - I think chances are reasonably good that we could walk away with the games. I'm so tired of being jealous of all you Canadian and English folk, with your 2010 and 2012 Games...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong