View Single Post
¡Damned!

2011-08-29, 15:00

SO, after PAX a bunch of 1.8 stuff is leaking out. This will definitely be the biggest update to MC since, well, ever... so post please post any new finds and thoughts about our upcoming transition. New items in 1.8:

• Bigger biomes. Will be more distinct.
Rivers. Will define biomes in some areas.
• Ravines.
Enderman. New baddies. The Travis Bickles of MC. Two block reach and will teleport to attack you when you move your crosshairs off of them. Major weakness: Water. They collect blocks to make geometric shapes when not killing players. Maybe a better analogy would be Owen.
• Silverfish. No idea what they do. Probably something unnecessary and irritating knowing Notch.
• Deeper, larger oceans. No new water mob in 1.8.
• Rain has been improved (?)
• NPC villages. Peaceful and leave you alone unless you attack one. Sort of like Zombie Pigmen in the Nether.
• Lava and torches will have new lighting effects, torches will give off light in your hand while holding it.
• Zombies will now drop rotten flesh as opposed to feathers.
• Beter bow & arrow. Charged arrows will have more power and fly further.
• Grow pumpkins via pumpkin seeds.
• Grow melons. Wooo! Notch has finally turned this into a real video game! Er, wait, no, I guess guys and gals can both do it. It involves planting. Le sigh.
• Hunger bar. Not entirely clear on how this works, but I guess sprinting has been introduced too. The more you sprint, the hungrier you get. I think. And it replenishes your health bar somehow too. I don't know.
• New meats: chicken duck and beef.
• Tables. Motherfucking not-bootleg tables. A welcome addition.
• Glass panes. !!! Thin panes of glass that take up the center of a block. Recoverable too. Not sure if they're stackable. One can hope.
• “Dead Mine Shafts” will be randomly generated like dungeons and will feature rails, torches and wooden pillars.
• Experience orbs. Something something to make it more like something. I don't care about this.
• "Strongholds" - old structures that have been abandoned. Built with quarter-stone, green quarter-stone, and may include iron bars, ivy, etc.
• A ton of new block choices.

Exciting stuff! Apparently it may be split into 2 updates and add more things like volcanoes, water mobs, etc. into 1.9. We shall see.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2011-08-29 at 15:16.