Thread: stuff for VOIP
View Single Post
rminkler

2006-03-15, 14:05

I looked into those USB phones a few months ago, and there was only one that worked with the Mac, and then only with internal beta drivers (that may have been released by now). Unfortunatly I don't remember which.

I recommend that you look into SIP or IAX clients with a service like Broadvoice instead of Skype. JackenIAX is a really nifty IAX client (softphone), and you could use it with a bluetooth headset (or a USB one). The reason I recommend IAX or SIP, is that these are industry standard systems, and you can easily switch service providers, or even set up an asterisk server and configure your own PBX - you have lots of options. Skype on the other hand, is a closed system, which is not standard, and is not compatable with other services and the growing range of IAX and SIP hardware.

Edit: Just to clarify, there are industry standard VOIP protocols, which allow for interoperability between a huge variety of software and hardware. Skype is not one of these standards, and if you go with skype you will be essentially locked into their system and skype specific hardware.

Last edited by rminkler : 2006-03-15 at 14:11.