View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-18, 23:20

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I'm glad you all like it.

Various trivia, because I'm a nerd too:

I chose red, yellow, white, blue, and black because those the are colors of the original LEGO bricks — outside of green baseplates, other colors of pieces wouldn't become common until much later. It's sort of hard to see the studs on the black brick, so I put it in the back.

According to Brickipedia, 8x12 baseplates do exist, and are the smallest baseplates. 8x16 baseplates are much more common, though. (I briefly considered expanding the "baseplate" out into the area opened up by the moving of the sidewalk, but 8x14 baseplates don't exist. And I kind of like the open little "park" that's there now.)

The bricks are as close to the proportions of real LEGO bricks as you can get with a reasonably-sized structure. If you pay attention to the stud spacing, it makes sense — for example, the studs are two spaces apart, but there's only one space between the outer studs and the wall of the garden. This is so, if you placed another baseplate next to it, a regular brick designed for two spaces between studs would be able to bridge them.

I put the door on the back of the white brick to preserve a clean facade. (Spare me the "rear entry" jokes, please.) The area by the door is also the only place you can see all five bricks at once from the ground.

I didn't get rid of the rainbow. I just moved it inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
I think that just might be the most fitting house in the history of Minecraft. What better style for a game that's essentially LEGOs?
I know, right? I felt it was an appropriate first project. It's sort of zen, if you think about it, if you don't think too hard. Very meta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
And to think I thought it was going to be a zen garden!
A zen garden was probably a more logical guess. I called the area surrounding the house a "garden" because I didn't know what else to call it, and didn't want to give it away.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong