Thread: Mac Pro Pricing
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-12-11, 06:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I saw those "coming soon" options as well...a first. They never let those cats out of the bag like that. I wonder if it'll hurt sales? People thinking "hell, I've waited this long, what's another few months..."?

Interesting. I wonder why they'd do that, knowing it may encourage further fence-sitting/waiting?
It's unusual of them to do, and does theoretically risk the Osborne effect, but in practice, I don't think so.

Some people will be content with the current Mac Pro line-up. They've waited for years, and now get an extremely powerful (and pricey) machine. Others will wait another few months* for better (and I'm guessing cheaper) BTO options. This does mean Apple will miss out on some revenue for the December quarter, sure. But it'll be an extremely small slice (0.1%, if even that), and of that slice, most people will eventually buy in the next quarter. In the meantime, Apple won't run out of money (unlike Osborne), and those people are also unlikely to not buy the Mac Pro altogether because of the pre-announced options.

So it's unusual, yeah, but the risk is rather small.

*) Siracusa asks:

Quote:
If anyone at Apple knows when the “coming soon” Radeon Pro W5700X GPU option will be available for purchase on the Mac Pro, please let me know. Will it be before the December 31 cutoff on the Apple Card 6% cash back deal? (Twitter DM or email my last name at Gmail.)
Surely if they could ship these new options before December 31, they would've just offered them on the 10th and not bothered with the original revision.

I don't expect these options to appear before mid-January at the earliest.