View Single Post
autodata
hustlin

2004-07-24, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
The Chicago Police don't much care for people swinging into the water off of piers and the like.
As each year goes on, I am more and more repulsed by the lake. And I live in Evanston 100' from the beach and most summers have a sailboat of some kind. But as nice as it is here (and evanston beaches are 100K times nicer than anywhere in chicago proper) I really think it's nasty. One or two people drown off evanston every year and sometimes (like one guy I knew) their bodies aren't found for weeks or months because they get wedged in rocks. Some gang member or mobster's body parts washed up a block from my house (and some more a couple blocks down in rogers park) a year or so ago. Not to mention the sewage that goes in there every time it rains.

Then again, most people I know swim in there all the time and think it's totally fine. Maybe it is.
Quote:
And speaking of the lake...any friend or family member that's been with me for their first time in Chicago has always been surprised that you can't see to the other side of The Lake.
That's odd. Haven't they ever looked at a map of the US?

I will say, though, That's I've always been really curious how far we really can see. Sometimes on clear days I can see the steam from the Mich City nuke plant from evanston and I swear I've seen downtown chicago from the beach in Union Pier, Mich. Of course, that's all the southern tip, so it's not like it really counts as seeing across the lake.