View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-18, 19:23

Argh! I like Samsung's quality but I honestly can not stand their "Touch of Color" line. Why someone would want to take a high quality panel and then put it on a non-neutral surround is just beyond me. I know the little red "touch" isn't much but it doesn't take much to make the picture appear warmer. (In fact, the fact that it's not fully surrounding the bezel and only on the bottom is actually probably worse, because then it would "warm" perception unevenly, no?) Sony's done the same thing (with colored bezels), and it's always maddening; the thing is, Sony only does that on their lowest-end TVs, knowing that videophiles would object. But Samsung does it across the board, and even charges you extra for the privilege of having a TV with a non-neutral bezel. Ack.

Both of those deals are for the Touch of Color line. They're still not bad deals (especially Luca's) but I don't understand why adding something that harms accurate perception should be a "selling point." It's style over substance, and not at all what I expected from Samsung. Their previous "High Design" sets are just as stylish, and neutral, anyway.

All other TVs/monitors are white/black/grey for a reason.

/pet peeve

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong