View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-05-25, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Also, the vast majority of that small number are resolved with a blast of air, and most of those are crumbs dropped there by filthy eaters. When air does not work, removal of the key almost always exposes a larger hunk of dried-in ketchup. [..] the complaints are very few and far between, and almost always yield a food-borne cause.
This sounds a bit you're-holding-it-wrong to me. I've been on Apple laptops since the 2002 white iBook, which are two and a half distinct keyboards: the iBook one, the PowerBook G4 Aluminum-inherited early MacBook Pro one, and the unibody MacBook Pro one. All three had scissor switches; the last one changed the key type to chiclet. None of them like food, but they rarely had major problems with my eating habits, and when they did, the fix was reasonably simple.

That's not what I'm hearing for the butterfly keyboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Anyway, it's a very grand update. That 8-core i9 is within CPU-performance spitting distance of an iMac Pro, and is more powerful than any Mac Pro tower. "Apple does not care about Pro's" is laughable at this point.
It'll be interesting to see what a Cascade Lake-W iMac Pro looks like. Probably more cores. And, just like the current iMac Pro, almost nobody should need to buy one.

As for performance similarities, it should be noted that more portability typically means less reliability and thermal headroom. An iPhone may come close to MacBook Pro performance in benchmarks, but won't be able to sustain that beyond ten-ish minutes. A MacBook Pro will sustain it for an hour or two. An iMac Pro? Many hours.