View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-04-30, 16:24

The only thing is this (and I think it kinda matters, even to those of us who know the specs and what truly matters and what just sounds good on paper, etc.): I think people could deal with Apple's stuff always being more expensive (and not having a $500 laptop), but even if Apple had a $699-799 model, we all know that it would still somehow "read worse" on specs than a $499 HP at Best Buy (in terms of graphics, memory, etc.).

Like it or not, some folks buy that way. Or are nudged that way by hopped-up sales staff.

I'd love to imagine Apple coming out with a $699 notebook of some sort. Only thing is, Apple being Apple, they'd probably hobble it to the point of idiocy. It would look great, of course. But it would have 4GB of non-upgradeable RAM, a 64GB SSD, last-generation's graphics, etc. Apple doesn't make crap, which is a good thing. But they do cripple their low end stuff to get it close. So their only real choices here are:

- Change their approach and make some crap so they can be in that ultra cheap space (where, traditionally, they've never shown interest)
- Just resign themselves to the fact they're never going to compete in that "$500 laptop" segment

I think the latter is way more likely.

We could see a $699 Apple notebook within the next few years. But nobody here would buy it without BTO'ing the hell out of it, and those who make stock purchases pay not be impressed by its out-of-the-box numbers.

"Why would I pay $699 for that Apple one when this HP one is $499 - $399 with a rebate! - and every single number/spec is higher and better, by far, than the Apple model?!"

Apple isn't about to design/sell (in their eyes) a TurdBook, so some markets just may go unaddressed/un-pursued.

They won't compromise on design or quality, we know that. But they have no problem lowering specs. But I'm not sure they could do that enough to ever get to the $500 area with something they'd be comfortable with or proud of. If Apple did release a $500 notebook, it would have a Core 2 Duo processor, graphics from the last generation of the white plastic MacBook, a spinning 4200rpm hard drive, a display made by Etch-a-Sketch, etc.