View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-09, 14:12

I know I can easily get a $300 router that should work. I guess I'm just trying to figure out something that is very functional and doesn't require odd configurations to get Time Machine to back up to it. It needs to "just work" for my mom when she's on her home network.

I had considered UniFi but that's overkill for her needs. I happen to really like Synology so I had also thought about RT2600ac ($199 at Amazon)since it would give me VPN access to her house with ease among many other features. It also includes built in Time Machine support. Given I use their NAS products I know it works well and she would be fine.

Personally I'm currently using an old AirPort Extreme (same generation as her Time Capsule) for my backups by pulling an external drive in it. I have the network functions turned off though. For this, I'm really considering moving the external drive to one of my NASs and unplugging the Extreme.

Back to my mom though, I was really hoping there would be something that is pushed by Apple or other geeks that just works. I told my mom it would be about $300 for the router and external HDD.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.