View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-29, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I don’t know. There has been five display sizes of iPad and they’re all currently represented in the line. There hasn’t been any that were just one-offs or transitional sizes. The 10.5-inch seemed like it might be that, but then they put it in their new midrange Air.
I don't know that that was always the plan. Seems weird to me.

(Maybe it was always intended for the Air, and they needed it on the Pro first because the 2018 Pro design wasn't ready?)

Quote:
And when they decided to make a midrange iPad again, they didn’t give it a new weird in-between 10.3 inch screen, they gave it one of the screen sizes they were already using.
Hmm.

Quote:
I, like, need need a new MacBook this fall, which is…great timing. If they introduce the 14-inch MacBook Pro I am 100% getting that and I will be happy all of my days. If they introduce the 16-inch MacBook Pro and it replaces the 15-inch…honestly that’s more than I want to spend (and carry) but I’d probably stretch and get it. If it’s some $3299 model on top of the current 15-inch line…eeeeeehhhhh…I’d be pretty miffed, honestly.
I hear you on needing something. I'm definitely stretching this one… first because there was no 32 GB RAM option (until mid last year), but also still because of the keyboard.

I also get that my needs are… hardly mainstream. But for me, it would only be a few hundred dollars worth of difference anyway:
  • I can either start out with the $2,399 and add $400 for the RAM and $200 for the storage, for a total of $2,999.
  • Or with the $2,799 which already includes the storage, but not the RAM (and basically adds a slightly nicer CPU and GPU, which actually isn't that bad a deal for $200). So, $3,199.
  • It's easy to imagine a $3,299 16-inch configuration on top of that, and for that to already include both the storage and the RAM. At that point, I'd only spend another $100 more.

What's yet another $100 for a better keyboard, bigger screen, snappier™ everything? In the grand scheme of f-it-I'm-going-all-in things, basically nothing.

Of course, if you start out with a 14-inch, that's a different ballgame — you might "even" get away with below $2k.