View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-29, 14:21

The point I am making is that a 10.3" iPad and a 10.5" iPad Air with similar specs have no business living in the same product lineup. This is like that old 13" non-Touchbar MacBook Pro. Buy the MacBook Air and save yourself $200!

A 10.3" iPad will make the iPad Air a goofy product in the lineup. I agree you cannot be stagnant and all that, but products that exist for the purpose of existing serve no purpose other than to confuse the customer, and if the customer is confused, then the lineup needs adjusting (we will do that ourselves if forced to). I don't care if there are 10 iPads in the lineup, as long as all 10 of them have a clearly defined purpose over any of the other 9. Anything less and the iPad Air would then exist in that space of "we're taking it off the floor because the customer cannot sort out why the hell they would ever buy that over this other, cheaper thing that does all the same stuff."

If the new iPad and the existing iPad Air both have nearly identical screen sizes, and nearly identical internals, then the more expensive of the two has no reason for existing, and I have no problem whatsoever shoving it off to the side into "please don't bother" land. I sell the product that is the best fit for the customer, not the best fit for Apple.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)