View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-19, 02:59

There certainly are a wide range of options. I think a safe bet to start would be to assume that each model will retain a video processor from the same company. Or if it does indeed switch, then another must switch as well to balance it out. Apple strives to attain a balance between ATI and nVidia, for various reasons.

So let's look at the PowerBooks. Right now they have the aging GeForce Go 5200 in the 12", and the now-kinda-old Mobility Radeon 9700 in the 15" and 17" models. One thing you have to consider is that some of these new chipsets are designed for PCI Express, and the PowerBooks don't currently have a PCI Express bus. It would require a redesign of the motherboard in order to do so, and I think Apple will hold off until the PowerBooks get G5s to incorporate PCIe. So we can scratch the Mobility X800 off the list, since it's PCIe only. That leaves, for ATI at least, pretty much just the current 9700 and the newer Mobility Radeon 9800. I think the 9800 is an obvious choice. History tells us that the PowerBooks have received updated GPUs in nearly every revision since 2001. The 9800 may not be the newest thing on the block, but it's still faster than the 9700 and it only needs to stay with the PowerBooks for one revision. Then Apple can incorporate PCIe and use the latest graphics processors.

As for the 12", I really hope they upgrade it past the GeForce 5200. The 6200 would be a natural choice, since it's geared toward low power consumption and heat. I don't think the 6200 would make a good replacement for a Mobility 9800, but it would be a great upgrade from the 5200.