View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-20, 18:42

Yeah, I'm aware there's no physical card in any of the machines other than the PowerMac. I don't think a video card would work at all in any of the all-in-one machines, because it would require a bulky internal video connector instead of just having it hardwired to both the internal display and the video-out port on the computer.

I know that a few high-end gaming laptops can actually accept video upgrades - how is this done? Does it use a drop-in GPU module, kind of like a CPU socket? Perhaps RAM slots for the VRAM, allowing you to increase the amount of memory? It would seem to me that each part of the video chipset (or whatever you want to call it, we use card because it's quick and everyone knows what you mean by it) would be too interdependent on one another to work that way. But maybe I'm wrong. I know that either way, Apple will never offer GPU upgrades on any PowerBook, but I'm still curious as to how they work.

Nice work with the iBook. Apple can be a bitch sometimes, refusing to fix ANY part even if it's unrelated to any of the service work you've done yourself. Glad to hear it worked out okay anyway.