View Single Post
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-20, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I know that a few high-end gaming laptops can actually accept video upgrades - how is this done? Does it use a drop-in GPU module, kind of like a CPU socket? Perhaps RAM slots for the VRAM, allowing you to increase the amount of memory? It would seem to me that each part of the video chipset (or whatever you want to call it, we use card because it's quick and everyone knows what you mean by it) would be too interdependent on one another to work that way. But maybe I'm wrong. I know that either way, Apple will never offer GPU upgrades on any PowerBook, but I'm still curious as to how they work.
AFAIK, they're a module that's small enough to fit into a laptop, with the vram chips on the module. I think Nvidia designed MXM, which is their "solution" for it... ATI might have something different. An article on MXM is available here:

http://www.hothardware.com/viewartic...leid=524&cid=2

I don't know what Alienware did in some of their gaming laptops, as I think their "upgradable gpu" laptops came out before MXM. It may have been some sort of in-house thing they did themselves.