View Single Post
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2007-07-27, 08:55

Well I think I've decided on my latest project. I totaled my car in May (really crappy situation, pretty much equally each of our faults, the lucky part is nobody was hurt) and since then have been without a car. With senior year coming up on me fast, I'm realizing that this might be a bit of a problem.

Anyway, I was thinking about it, and I don't remember exactly how the idea came to me, but I decided it might not be a bad idea to buy and old diesel (maybe a late 80s or early 90s Mercedes, BMW or VW) and convert it to run on vegetable oil (waste or pure) or biodiesel. It's generally more environmentally friendly, cheaper in the long run, and often increases a car's mileage. Sounds like a good deal, no?

The problem is that, while I think I could definitely learn quickly to the level that I'm at least passingly competent, I don't have a whole lot of experience working on cars, let alone converting them to run on biodiesel. Having read up on what it usually entails, it sounds as though you mainly have to change a filter or two, and change a spark plug (might be getting terminology mixed up here.)

Does anyone have any advice or stories of their own experiences they'd like to offer? Should I see if I can find a used, pre-converted car over doing it myself? Is it as simple a procedure as I'm imagining?

Thanks!