Thread: iPhone 2012 ;)
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-08, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I'm not saying it will flop because it has a 3.5" screen. But instead of arguing why the 4S kept the same screen size, Gruber seems to be arguing that all iPhones will, which strikes me as a really good way to be wrong.
Yes, though it's a question of semantics. Is Mac OS X part of Mac OS? If it isn't, the phrase "Mac OS will always have QuickDraw" is true. Otherwise, it's false. I bring this up because it's conceivable that, some day, iPhones will have developed way past how we think of iPhones today, and it's possible that it won't be until then that the screen size changes. I.e., that it will take not an evolutionary revision, but a radical change.

Quote:
(He also misrepresents the other argument, which strikes me as disingenuous and not up to his usual standard.)
Not sure if deliberate.

Quote:
Well, I have a 4.3" phone right now, and I like it. And I think a 16:9 screen makes sense, so that when you watched 16:9 video you wouldn't have to do the double-tap to zoom in/out thing. And the shape of the iPhone is closer to 16:9 anyway...

Idunno. I'd sort of like to be involved in the creation of iPhone games, someday, and I guess I'd like to have a wider canvas upon which to paint. I mean, a 4.5" screen...that's PlayStation Vita territory. I think a wider window could make the experience more immersive. The holy grail is a console-quality experience, not just in specs and performance but also in immersion and production values, and I think a wider window to the game world could help complete that experience.

You're free to disagree, of course. And I understand why people value compactness, too. That's why I view it as an expansion of the line-up. I'm not saying Apple will make 4.5" the One True Screen Size, just that I don't think 3.5" will always be the same.
In that sense, increasing the size makes a lot of sense for the iPod touch. After all, they do market it as a game console (if not the single most successful handheld game console) (and then proceed not to upgrade its GPU this year!).

I don't really see myself watching movies long enough for aspect ratio to matter on that small a screen. Short YouTube clips, sure, but anything more meaningful wouldn't feel immersive enough to me. I've tried.