View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-06-21, 02:40

I always leave EXIF data embeded in my images, so if you have a Safari/Chrome/Firefox EXIF data plug-in you should be able to check. The last shot has a few factors to consider, that settings don't cover, although I will mention settings. Beyond settings, time of year, time of day, and water flow were a factor.

Gear and settings:
D800 + 24-70mm F2.8 at 24mm, F20, ISO100, 30 second exposure. I used a circular polarizer to cut down reflections on the water and foliage, which is important for getting this look.
White balance was set to shady, which I often use in dusk conditions, but still had to correct it in post. The as shot white balance was slightly blue, as blue hour conditions (blue hour is the hour after sunset) had set in. I could have set the K value manually, but find it easier to tweak in post since the light in the evening can change very quickly.
Time of year: Mid-late May, which is when the greens in the forest in the region are at the peak.
Time of day/weather: After dusk, with party clear sky.
Water flow: Due to recent snow melt and heavy rainfall the night before, the water was raging to say the least. It might be hard to believe, but that is a creek, not a major river.

I know, information overflow, but each one of those details played a roll in the final image. I hope that this information is helpful.

Last edited by PB PM : 2014-06-21 at 12:32.