View Single Post
Anonymous Coward

2022-08-13, 20:31

I didn't realize that former President Trump was still such a big deal. I generally avoid the major news networks since their headlines are so sensationalized and often misleading clickbait, and also the news compilers (Google and Yahoo) because they tend to repeat the same stories that someone must think are important multiple times on the same page.

Anyway, I heard about the insurrection news and the recent raid on his home on the BBC, but other than that, both BBC and Reuters, from what I have seen, have been quiet about other things. It was only when I read about the passing of Judith Durham that I looked elsewhere to see what kind of tributes had been posted (apparently this was not big news outside the UK and Australia, and even there was overshadowed by passing of Olivia Newton-John). Even if you do not know the name Judith Durham, you would immediately recognize her strong, clear voice. I looked on Yahoo news, and saw many stories about Trump supported candidates and Trump supported initiatives.

Even as a Republican, I had realized that former President Trump was still considered to be influential. (Of course, I might be on their blacklist due to an incident I mentioned elsewhere when I was not supportive to a telephone solicitation.) From my observations and point of view, he would have been defeated in a landslide (both initially and for reelection) if the Democrats had not chosen the absolute weakest opposing candidates. But I guess both major parties are more personality cults than platform based. (I mean, I know all Republicans are evil, stupid, uneducated Trump worshipers intent on destroying the planet and suppressing human rights. At least that's what I read constantly on the Ars Technica forums, which are pretty much the only other site I follow regularly (besides the BBC, of course, since they always have fascinating articles on worldwide culture, foods, and points of interest).

I had initially thought that all the insurrection related proceedings were just more of the winners writing/rewriting history. I mean, does anyone really believe that a single event that took place over just a couple of days in one location would be capable of toppling the government and starting a civil war? Do we really think so little of the American governmental system and separation of powers? Yes, it was traumatic for those involved, but no more than the weeks and months of city areas being taken over by lawless protest groups. But reading reports that former President Trump had encouraged insurrection are troubling. I understand some of the questions about election integrity, given that Democrats (not prominent Democratic leaders, but individuals supporting the Democratic party) were in the news encouraging means to win elections (not necessarily presidential) such as moving to other states and skirting voting requirements. Were those just Republican lies? I don't remember that those reports were restricted to right or left leaning news sites. Whether or not there was any amount of election fraud, it would do well to unify the country if both parties would agree to some sort of independent investigation, but the refusal to even consider this probably polarizing.

I must say that at one time, former President Trump's candidacy seemed somewhat appealing. I mean, someone not a politician who seemed more transparent in his thought process merited consideration over political royalty. Even my elderly, Democrat registered, former history teacher Mother favored him. But that was before he actually became a politician and over-sharing is just as bad as not communicating. I can't believe that he still has supporters and is actually considering another Presidential run, effectively cementing all the preconceptions about Republicans and ensuring there will be no new leadership or platform reform.

Becoming a party line Democrat is not an option, because no matter how good they seem, if politicians are involved, there are most likely ulterior motives. Being a party line Republican is definitely not an option, especially if their supporters label everything as Trump supported or Trump approved. I can't believe that a majority of people would support a 100% party line, but I guess politics is treated like the law, black and white. Kind of like religion, where if you don't believe everything you are suppored to, you aren't considered to be a member.