View Single Post
Jerman

2008-03-30, 16:39

Ridiculous. I would assume if they did this, very little would end up going to the artist. I remember reading an article very recently that stated no artists have received any "Cut" of the money won by the RIAA in their lawsuits. This would be more of the same.

This would penalize all of the honest music buyers out there. Pretty soon the movie industry would be wanting a fee, then games, then ebooks, etc. This would be like taxing shipped packages because they *could potentially* contain copied material. Let's get a phone tax going too, while we are at it, because callers *may* be calling from the sports game they are attending, which is illegal to report on in real time.

Look at Wal-Mart. They lose an estimated $30 Billion per YEAR, or $25 million a day due to theft! This is not electronic theft, it is physical theft, which I still would tend to classify as much worse than making an electronic copy, since there is a direct loss associated to the seller. Yet according to this article:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/8-2-2006-104236.asp Wal-Mart is pushing for more lax policies on shoplifting! Shrink, theft, whatever you want to call it is an unfortunate aspect of any business, which Wal-Mart realizes, and is taking what I consider to be a level headed approach.

Yes they lose some cash, but if they can maintain a good image to their customers by not treating them as thieves, even though some are, they will retain more sales, and be the "good guys". Would certainly make ME more confident to shop there, especially if somehow I accidentally DID walk out with something.

The entertainment industry continues to post soaring profits, even in a slowing economy. Quit whining, get over it and focus on making great content, not being jerks!