View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-27, 14:57

Nice-looking enough, but I have to echo the "big square thing" comments above. And, in general, it doesn't have that "scary movie" vibe...it almost looks too clean and tech-y (those Apple-y gel tabs and so forth).

But I'm not a huge fan of the "red on black" look for scary stuff (go to Blockbuster or Barnes & Noble and look at how so many horror/thriller movies and books have that "red type on black background" look). It certainly works, and it instantly tells the viewer what genre it is. But it's also become a bit clichéd, due to massive overuse throughout the field.

I like how some of the posters and promo material for those "Saw" movies looked...that stark, blown-out white and "warped medical" vibe to it. There was even a Joker poster going around earlier for "The Dark Knight" that was a nice stark white background, with Joker standing there and "painting" "why so serious" in blood(?) on the frosted, white glass, which was the foreground (for us, the viewer). It look creepy, just seeing something that twisted and sinister on an unexpected white, bright background and environment. My favorite poster of the entire marketing campaign...

Mugge mentions a "cold, sterile" look, so maybe that's what I'm getting at. And that godawful "institutional green" you see in creepy movies about hospitals and prisons...those walls always have that shade of green (and the grimy white tiles, with handprints, blood spatter, etc.).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-08-27 at 15:07.