View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-10, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
2.) As Brad said (and showed), it's easy to "theme" these apps so Apple should make some sort of mini program to apply themes or some official instructions of how to do it.
Well, Apple could have done this from Day One. Remember that SoundJam MP could be extensively themed, had a themes folder, and had a menu to change themes on the fly. SoundJam was really awesome. When iTunes was first released and Apple stripped out this functionality (among many other SJ features), lots of people (myself included) hacked apart the pieces of iTunes, searching in vain for a way to get other themes to work. Unfortunately, no one ever found a way.

It's really not that easy to do unless you're already comfortable with resource editing. Back in the Public Beta and 10.0 days, I did my fair share of "theming" of Mac OS X and a few other apps. As Apple refined and subdued the Aqua look, though, I haven't been so inclined to work on anything like this until now, except for when Mail 2.0 was released.

If you want to try your own hand, download a free copy of ResFork or Rezilla.

I still want to change a few things in my edited iTunes first, but if anyone is really interested, I can post it for download later.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.