View Single Post
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-08-08, 14:55

So how do you guys sell things on eBay? I have heard arguements from several camps:

The one that makes the least sense to me but its one of the most common is start ridiculously low to attract bidders, list for 7 days and cash in. But this one makes no sense to me because the bulk of the bids come in during the final hour, and most eBay users use the default search function - search by time ending, not lowest price. Even the saavy buyers tend to search by ending soonest because searching for lowest price only means you find the lowest CURRENT price - the item will likely skyrocket in the last hour.

I used to work at an eBay consignment shop and the manager swore by this one. But more than once, the item sold for way less than the prediction and the customer was not happy.

The strategy I am leaning towards at the moment is high list, short auction. Like 3 days. And high list means like, just below your target. I think this one makes the most sense because you get to that final hour quicker without excluding the early birds. You also make it impossible to really sell for less than you want. I also think its a good idea to throw in a buy-it-now, a little higher than your prediction, because some buyers (myself included) have no qualms paying an extra 5% to a) get it immediately and b) not have to screw around with bidding. Given that they are buying used, they are already getting a bargain.

If you've been paying attention, you know this is regarding my Alienware. I am thinking about a $1800 list and a $2100 buy it now, as I estimate the computer to be worth about $2000. (You could buy a new Alienware with very similar specs for $2300-ish.)

So, how do you sell on eBay?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.