View Single Post
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2006-08-08, 16:31

I used to supplement my income by selling Thinkpads on ebay when I lived in Boston -- I could buy in bulk from a 'person' down the street.

I still sell the occasional Mac stuff that I bought in bulk (currently have iBook x 2, 1.42 MDD x3 for sale) and what I have found to help the selling price the most is lots of pics and really descriptive text. I also charge a reasonable amount for shipping. Be sure to really clean up the item before taking a pic, also get a good digital camera because those cell phone pics suck. Something that has also made me a bit is to sell complementary items. Ex. one auction is for a laptop and another is for a wireless card -- if they buy both then only charge shipping for the laptop and install the wireless card for free. I've seen the complementary item go for way over what it is worth because I have offered to install it for free if you buy the 'laptop' (or whatever) from me).

Depending on the item I will use either .99 listing/no reserve (for stuff under $50) or higher listing/no reserve/BIN (stuff over $400) or a combo of the 2 for prices in between.