View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-10-18, 01:07

Because human memory is dynamic. If I move something around my desktop, then place another window on top of it, I still know it's there. If you can't place an object you just moved a minute or two ago, then I just don't understand how your memory works. As well most of us have sufficiently large displays where dozens of windows can be open and still have corners visible. We also tend to put oft used windows/objects in the same desktop space every time. That's what memory and habit do for us.

This of course does not apply to the people who follow the Microsoft Windows paradigm of having every freaking window maximized and using a switcher/tabber mechanic to page through them. That's as one-dimensional as it gets.

The point about zooming out is that you have to do it to see your entire workflow. That makes it no better than Expose in OS X. In fact it makes it worse because windows will shrink at a much faster pace. Also why limit yourself to a linear analog if you have a non-linear workflow? The more I think about Con10uum, the more I hate it. It's a contrivance developed by people who think different is automatically better than what already exists.

EDIT: And if you do have a linear worflow, that's one thing nice about MS Windows, the taskbar allows you to easily organize your tabs from start to end no matter how many windows are cluttering your desktop. Need to go back to step one, just click on tab one! It does the same thing without mugging your entire screen.