View Single Post
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-10-18, 03:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
If you have a workflow that requires manipulating multiple large windows, then you use the tools of the trade that are best suited to it. This means a large display if you need one. If you get by with a 13" in screen for your daily grind then more power to you, but I have to wonder what makes up your workflow?
Portability is more important to me than having a large screen, and 13" should be adequate, but I'm increasingly getting the feeling that OS X is designed quite poorly for a small screen. I mainly use Safari, Firefox, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, MSN, iTunes, Text Edit, Finder and a handful of other applications. Nothing special, but a few of those take up most or all of the screen (for example, I'll always have Safari filling up as much of the screen as possible). I would have thought that OS X would be great for a 13" screen since I'd estimate (with little basis) that 50% or more of Mac sales are 13"ers. I should probably invest in an external screen but it hasn't been on the top of my priority list yet (and I think Apple could do a lot to make life on a 13" screen a little better).

Quote:
When Expose moves something you use visual differentiation along with labels to identify the correct object or window. This is no different than having to squint at the entire workflow you pinch/zoomed out in Con10uum. In addition if Apple gave the Dock the ability to arrange open windows as a list a la the taskbar, then Expose could share that same order when invoked.
If you were using Con10uum I think it would be extremely rare that you'd find the need to zoom all the way out. Mostly you'd just scroll side to side, perhaps zooming a little to make it quicker. Viewing the entire Con10uum with a lot of windows open would make each window tiny, which is a problem with the system, but on the plus side everything is in the same position you've been working with. Compare this to Exposé, which in my experience on a 13" screen, makes it fairly difficult to predict where the window you want is going to be (it keeps changing!). I'm sure this works a lot better on a 24" screen but it kinda sucks for me . Apple could do a lot of things. I think they should explore lots of different options.