View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-27, 00:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
It's encouraging to see that Apple themselves has finally got their head straight on such stuff. I think the future looks very bright for the Mac, and how various models are offered/named/priced. Things should be quite clear come this time next year. We're still in that transition, but give it all another 6-8 months...
The beginning of that paragraph of Gruber’s hides something important, too: “Apple, famously, doesn’t make a lot of products. They’re the world’s most profitable laptop maker, but they really only make three models: the MacBook Air, a mid-size (13/14-inch) MacBook Pro, and a larger (16-inch) MacBook Pro.”

If you have five laptop lines and two of them are somewhat daring in their choices, fine. But if you really only have two, and both of them come with an experimental keyboard and few ports, that’s a risky and discouraging choice. I can’t imagine the amount of customers who left Apple for good over this is zero. “We would like a Mac, but Apple is offering absolutely zero professional laptops right now.” And that was in the same era where their Mac Pro was dead, and the Mac mini wasn’t getting updated, and… I mean, what poor management!

Do a product line that’s willing to take risks, and call it, I dunno, the “Air” maybe? And then do other product lines that are just normal computers.