View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-27, 00:38

I think it's all quite simple. They now have a solid handle on the pro notebook thing.

All they really have to do now is decide what they want to do in that $999-1,699(?) "for the rest of us space", and without all the demands/expectations of the $2,000+ pro market, it should be easy. Especially with the M2 coming up, etc.

I think we'll see something as equally compelling in the ~$1,299 non-pro notebook front in the coming months, whatever they wind up calling it, or whatever size(s) it may come in.

Apple just gave all their pro users a big sloppy kiss. They'll probably do so for everyone else soon enough. I'm curious to see what they do, knowing the things they need to address, serve, cater to, etc. But now with the pro models starting at $1,999, they've got a nice big area to play in now.

I love the idea of a 12" and 14" consumer notebook line (playing off the two sizes of the pros, just smaller). Have them in $200 increments, starting at $899 for a 12" (if they can sell a new 13" Air for $999...), then a slightly better one (more storage?) at $1,099 (and maybe those stay on the M1 if that helps get the price down to such an affordable, for Apple, level), and then at $1,299 and $1,499 are your 14" M2-based models, replacing (finally) those two weirdo 13" MacBook Pros.

Lose the wedge, lose the "Air"...two sizes, starting at $899 and topping out at $1,499 or whatever.

Then once you factor in the RAM/SSD/Core BTO options available for each, they'd have that entire $899-$1,899+ space covered. From a stock 12" M1 for $899, up to a maxed-out 16" M1 Pro Max for $6,099...something for everyone, covering a solid range of prices/sizes/specs.

Or they may just stay with a single 13", which is fine too!

Whatever they'd got planned, release it by April or so. Then the rest of 2022 can be all about the desktops. By this time next year, everything is on AS, and with hardware designs less than 18 months old...they will have transitioned both under-the-hood, and the outer designs as well. All forward-looking, next-generation AS-based Macs, heading into 2023 and beyond.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-27 at 01:05.