View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-27, 12:06

I'm not downplaying/pooh-poohing any of the (amazing) changes/improvements. It's not a "oh, you don't like the notch so you don't appreciate any of the other stuff" thing at all.

Don't be so eager to make your point(s) that you have to try and make it sound like I'm not recognizing how great this new model is, chuckleheads.

But if you think this is the best implementation (in something that isn't handheld/pocketable, where fractions of inches/millimeters truly count) or it's something that couldn't negatively impact usability or how menus respond, then nothing I say is going to matter.

Maybe the perfect middle-ground is a future macOS update to where they figure some of those things out. That would be fine too, done well (but it may fundamentally change/tweak how things have worked for decades, so that'll be something people would have to be okay with too). Did they not anticipate any of this, and have it cooked into Monterey from the get-go? Or having that in the betas would've given away the hardware feature before they were ready? I can understand that, and maybe there's something underway, software/OS-wise, as we speak?

I love the smaller bezels. Were they needed on all three sizes? Nah, not at all. It would've looked just as nice with skinny sides, and a still-skinny top with all the camera/sensor stuff up there and an unbroken display/work area, where none of this has to get defended/debated.

Those of you okay with the notch...you're a little too okay with it.

It isn't an either/or thing. It could've been a perfect, zero-compromise machine that nobody had anything to squawk about if not for this dumb-butt approach.

And how much more "working space" are we truly talking about? Does that really add up/matter, real world? A vertical sliver, spread across the width of the display? Another visible GarageBand track, maybe? Another 1-2 lines of text at Daring Fireball? We're not talking anything huge or "this truly makes a difference".

You guys...