View Single Post
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-10-27, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Funny. Apple finally shells out the pro laptop everyone has been screaming for *AND* finds a way to offer up an additional 1/4" of screen space, and all we do is find something to whine about. We were going to find something — anything! — to pick at. There is just no way for Apple to win.

You wanted more ports? Apple gave them to you.

You wanted the old keyboard back? Apple gave it to you.

You wanted a thicker laptop with a bigger battery? Apple gave it to you.

You wanted a better screen? Apple gave it to you.

You wanted the fastest processor in the industry? Apple gave it to you.

You wanted a smoking hot GPU? Apple gave it to you.

You wanted it to run cool? Apple gave it to you.

You didn't want it to throttle? Apple gave it to you.

You wanted MagSafe back? Apple gave it to you.

You wanted a better camera? Apple gave it to you.

You wanted a smaller bezel? Apple gave it to you.

Wait! There's a NOTCH?

"Apple doesn't listen to pro's! Apple hates us and doesn't care about us anymore! Apple sucks! Where's my cake, I'm hungry!"

If Apple had shrunk that bezel on both sides, but didn't do it up top to make room for the camera, *EVERYONE* would be screaming that they had lost their design-minds and "If only Jony Ive had been here!"
Oh, I agree that everything except the notch is fantastic. I could quibble about HDMI 2 vs 2.1, but I don’t really care… AFAICT, it only really matters if you want 4K at 120Hz, and I can’t think of when I’d want that and not be at home with access to a TB dock. I still wish there was an ethernet port, but these days you need a dongle for that even with most of the nicer PC laptops and I’ve mostly given up on that particular fight (even though I’m right ). On the whole, though, these are astonishingly good laptops. Apple clearly did listen to what the Pros wanted.

Is the notch the end of world? I doubt it. Is it the biggest mistake Apple’s ever made? Again, no (that would be “embracing filename extensions when they switched to Mac OS X”, IMHO). But it does show a serious disregard for the sort of attention to detail WRT the UI & HIGs that made Mac OS so great in the first place. And, unlike the lack of ports, this can’t be fixed with a dongle.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.